Tuesday, January 15, 2008

2007 - A Year in Review

2007 has proved to be a year of much growth and learning. I rang the New Year in as a new military wife whose husband was away on deployment, and I said goodbye to the year as a freshly single woman ready for anything. In between, I discovered strength and peace within myself I never knew was there. I found a love I never knew existed and found the courage to take a chance on it. My life is richer, more meaningful, and happier than it has ever been.

I am happy to say that I was able to make two trips to Florida to see my family. In February, I met my father and step-mother for the first time. Although I spoke to him over the phone on numerous occasions before this trip, it was great to meet my father face to face. In my heart my step-mother is the mother I never had, and there is no need for the word "step." During my second trip, I was able to meet my brother and his wife. This was an awfully short trip, but it was worth it to meet more of my family.

It was thrilling to get the chance to talk with some of my extended family through online sources such as myspace, facebook, and email. I have not had the opportunity to meet most of my father's brother and sisters, but that time is coming soon (in 2008 for sure!). I was able to connect with a couple of cousins via myspace, which has been great! I can't wait until I have the opportunity to meet these important people.

I went to my 10-year high school reunion in July. Although my best friend from high school did not show, it was great to see who did attend. An interesting note was that everyone pretty much stayed in the same "cliques" as we were in high school. No one really ventured through the divided groups - except, of course, most of the well-known drama people. I was able to reconnect with my past and I gained perspective on my life.

Of course, the bad must come with all the good. I suffered some minor setbacks in 2007. Although it was the right decision for me, my divorce was one of these events; another was my inability to pass the GMAT. I took this test twice and was not able to obtain the minimum score required by the SJSU MBA program.

In 2008, I look forward to more trips to the Southern States to meet my aunts and uncles. Plans are already in the works for one trip to Arkansas and another trip to Georgia. They will be meeting my other half as well. I look forward to being accepted into a program and pursuing my MBA. I also look forward to exploring relocation possibilities and career expansion opportunities.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

:) I was the first to graffiti your blog! Yay! Keep up the good work, and hope we both become myspace whores again when the time comes. Hope all is well!

Tara said...

I enjoyed your year in review! WHAT A YEAR!! I will be looking forward to more blog updates!!

Dana said...

LeAnne,

I really enjoyed spending time with you last night reading your blog. This morning I read the quotes from Heinlein and I really relate to the Optimist! I have always been one and truly believe that moment to moment awareness and choices can influence our happiness in the journey of life. It is rarely the destination that brings true happiness. You are an inspiration, your determination, never give up spirit and beautiful smile! Would you like to go hiking some Sat? Luv ya, Dana