Sunday, February 15, 2009

My First Week in my New Office

Judy and Joyce were out of the office on my first day at work. They were in Norfolk, VA for the Level 3 PBS Team meeting. PBS, by the way, stands for Program Business Services. April, Donna, and I were catching a plane to Norfolk on Tuesday for the Southern Region All-Hands. So, on Monday, I spent my eight hours at work putting together my computer, updating all my Booz Allen information, getting office supplies, etc.

Later that day, April announced she was cancelling her ticket to Norfolk since her daughter was sick. She ended up getting sick as well, so it was a good thing she decided to stay home. Donna and I met at the Huntsville Airport and had the whole trip to get to know each other. We had a short layover in Cleveland, OH before landing in Norfolk. We grabbed lunch together before retiring to our rooms to rest before the team dinner.

The dinner was a great...I had lobster and margaritas! :) I met other people in the Southern Region in the PBS Team. After dinner, there was a team building activity - Jeopardy! The content was all about the GO Team (Global Operations Team), the PBS leadership, etc. I didn't know any of the information, but it was a great introduction!

The next day was the actual All-Hands meeting. This meeting gave everyone a chance to present their offices' challenges and possible solutions to those problems and allow others' input on those challenges. I got to see the different markets the PBS team work in. I also got to see what the issues are in trying to get Program Managers to utilize the PBS Team. I learned that my old contract could benefit from a PBS person. Judy told me that once I learn how to use all the tools, I may be able to be my old contract's PBS person. I would basically be doing the same things for them as I did before, but I will have a lot more tools at my disposal to assist me in getting the information they need. I will also be doing the same thing for 5 or 6 other contracts. After the meeting, we flew home.

While I was gone, John found a job! He applied to Publix (a grocery store down the road) on Wednesday. He went on two interviews on Thursday and was hired that day. He is finishing up the orientation stuff today, actually. He begins work tomorrow.

Anyway, back to that first week: the rest of the week and currently, I've been training with Joyce and Donna. I will be taking a few of their contracts so that they can be free for the proposals coming down the pike at the office. It's been great!

2 comments:

Tara said...

What a week! You had a full week with alot of information to soak in. Glad you are settled in!

Kit Kat said...

I'm glad you are getting settled in!