Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day 2008


John and I made plans to celebrate Valentine's Day on the 15th. We would go to dinner at The Fish Market and see a movie (Fool's Gold). Of course, I thought February 14th would be just like any other Thursday: work, bowling, wine with friends, shower, then bed. John had something else planned.

I had an auditor come out to the office to review our purchasing and equipment inventory procedures. I created these procedures almost three years ago, so I am primarily responsible for this audit. It went very well, so I was pleased with that. My day was going well.

At about 5 minutes to 1pm, which is my usual lunch time, I received a call from John. I was finishing up my soup I had brought for lunch. I ate early so that I could take a walk at 1. He asked me if I had any meetings and how my day was going. I knew something was up because there was no reason for him to know if I had any meetings. About a minute or two after hanging up, I heard our doorbell ring. Sure enough, I get a call from the front desk that I have a delivery. As I walked toward the front of the office, I could see flowers and a little, red box on the reception desk. No one else was up there. Our receptionist was just coming in from lunch and told me that someone was outside our door and that he looked familiar. Sure enough, it was John.

I walked him and my gifts back to my office. I opened the little red box to find a gorgeous white gold necklace. The pendant is a simple heart with three, small, blue sapphires (pictured above). He wrote a beautiful message on the card, too. We took my afternoon walk together and then he left me to finish my work day.

When I got home, we had about 45 minutes before we needed to leave for bowling, so I had him open his gifts. I arranged them in order from most expensive, but least sentimental to the least expensive, but most sentimental value. He opened his two Riedel, Sommelier Burgundy/Pinot Noir, wine glasses first. Of course, being a Sommelier, he loved these. The next gift was a block of glass with the definition of Soul Mate and our names etched in to it. The last gift was a CD I made for him with a booklet of lyrics to the songs I put on the CD. I had a picture of us and printed on the CD itself. I was worried that he wouldn't like the CD much because he has different music tastes than I do. We listened to it on the way to bowling and he said he liked it.

We lost all four games at bowling. We went to Ted's for some wine and visited with the family a bit after bowling. We arrived home a little after 10pm.

It was a great day. I couldn't have asked for anything more! I loved all the surprises and John loved his gifts. I can't wait to go to the Fish Market and see Fool's Gold tonight!

2 comments:

Tara said...

What a wonderful surprise. Glad you guys had a great V-day! Your necklace is so pretty.

Kit Kat said...

You had a great V-Day!!!! I'm very happy for you and what a pretty necklace!