I just sealed the envelope to my last correspondence to my "past" life...half my tax return. The divorce papers specified that we split our tax refund (or payment) 50/50. I chose not to do anything that would lessen my refund, knowing I would have to give 50% of it to Steven. I, as expected, was not shown the same courtesy. This is very consistent with how the marriage was; one person always giving and the other one always taking. Needless to say, it's a very predictable ending!
In spite of knowing that I got the short end of the stick, I am very happy it is all over. I'm not dwelling on any negative points. I ended the marriage - it was 100% my decision - so I didn't take anything from the life we built together. I walked away from just about everything. I took my cats, a coffee table, and I requested that we split our taxes (refunds and/or payments) 50%. Some people criticize me for this. California Law allowed me 50% of everything we had. Had I fought for my fair share, I could have bought a house in the South and owned it (almost) free and clear. However, to be true to myself I had to do what felt right. I ended the marriage against Steven's will. I didn't feel right taking his home away, so I walked away from it all. My ex-husband and his family took advantage of my integrity and did whatever they could to be sure I didn't even get my fair share of the tax refund. As much as that sparks a light of anger in me, I also have to smile. My life experience has taught me that what goes around comes around. People get what they deserve; what you put in to life is what you get out of it. It will be interesting to see what is to come of this.
3 comments:
Karma is a beeyotch! Yes they will get theirs eventually...may not be next week or even 10 years from now...but it will happen and when it does lets hope they remember why it's raining shiznit on them and become better for it.
No one should question your decision with Steven or the way it was handled. You had to do what was right for you. But now that chapter is closed and you can move on free from the past relationship. How Exciting!!
Your divorce and decisions are nobody elses business and therefore they should not comment on what you decided to do.
I did almost exactly the same thing you did. Unless you are in this type of situation and can afford a fight; why not just walk away with your head held high, peace in your heart, and the happiness you deserve.
Post a Comment