It's been two weeks since my last post and I've lost a total of 7 pounds! Something must be working! I'm making healthier choices and feeling better! I've began hiking one day a week with some girlfriends. The hiking is making me feel more connected and happy by itself. I feel a strong bond with nature, with other strong women, and with my spirit, mind, and body when I hike. I think the hiking has been the most rewarding change I've made in my weekly routine. The food I put in my body helps my motivation to go on the hikes, so that was probably my most important change.
I am in the midst of another large change. I am pursuing a relocation opportunity ... to Alabama! We have an office that is expanding and growing it's business out there. Interesting turns of events have placed me on this path of pursuit. Let me start from the beginning:
At the beginning of the year, John and I found ourselves discussing the possibility of moving closer to my family in the South. This was never an option for me before. My ex-husband would never leave his family and I didn't feel I could ask him to make such a move. This discussion turned led me to looking at the Georgia office. My sister lives in Georgia and I thought it would be a nice, central location for my family. My dad's side primarily live in Alabama, Florida, and Arkansas. I also let John know that if I open this door, then there is no telling when an opportunity may come up - it could be years, or it could be just a matter of days. He needed to be ready to move away from everything he has ever known.
My sights were shifted to Alabama due to a site-visit from one of our partners at Booz Allen Hamilton. He told us that the Alabama office is really growing and will be looking for some great people to relocate. When I researched where our office was located in Alabama, I saw that it was only a 4 hour drive from my sister! I also have a cousin who lives in Alabama - not too far from where the office was located. I thought this was fate!
I talked to the partner and he, personally, let the three leads in the Alabama office know that I'd be willing to relocate. He also told me who the leads were. I sent an email to the leads to introduce myself. At the time, January/February, they had nothing out there for me, but said they would keep my name in their minds.
Since then, my divorce was finalized and I changed my name back to Steadman. I decided that I should send a follow-up email and let them know I was still interested in moving and to inform them of my name change. I sent this follow-up on May 6. I got a response back from one of the leads letting me know that a position was open and that I should schedule a time so that we can chat about it. I learned that the job was right up my ally and would allow great opportunity for growth. She asked for my resume and said she needed to discuss everything with her supervisors and she would get back to me.
Exactly one week after the call, four members of Booz Allen's senior management came to visit our site. They presented a new leadership initiative our company was rolling out, as well as let us know what they look for when promoting people to senior ranks within the company. These visits always excite me. They motivate me to do really well and to keep looking up. I honestly and truly believe I belong with this company. It was made for people like me. I've never been so sure of anything in my life. This renewed my sense of motivation prompted me to send a short follow-up email to my contact in Alabama. Her response was less than positive. She made the assumption that because I work in the San Francisco area that my pay was greater than what they could afford. She was also worried about my relocation costs. I responded in a very positive manner. I let her know what my salary was and focused on my motivation for career growth. Their office is looking to grow and expand and I felt I belonged there. I also let her know that my motivation to move is shared with my personal feeling of wanting to be closer to family. The email in response was a lot more positive. She said she could make my current pay and that she will need to talk to her supervisor about the relocation costs. She said she would get back to me the following week (this week).
Today, I sent another email, as I hadn't heard anything. Her response was positive. She said she felt her supervisor would assist with the relocation fees. The next hurdle was that there were some internal reconciliations that needed to happen before she could add another person to her team. She also asked me what was my "drop-dead" date for moving. I let her know my preference was to move no earlier than the end of July, due to some events occurring in California during that month. After July, I was free game. I also emphasized my excitement and anxiety over knowing if the opportunity was mine. In so many words, I asked if this was something I can plan on; that I could begin getting information together without feeling like the opportunity will be given to someone else. I am still waiting on her reply.
Of course, me being me, I already began researching apartments, moving companies, banks, etc. The apartment search caused me to become so overly excited I had to stop looking. Rent for a larger apartment than I am in now is just a little over half of what I'm paying in California - with a lot more amenities and appliances. Moving will give me another raise for the year! It is so exciting!
I can finally leave this state that is so riddled with bad and painful memories. I don't think I ever felt like I ever belonged anywhere, except at Booz Allen Hamilton. I've moved from town to town within California without this overwhelming feeling of "this is right." I feel as if I am finally going home.
John, on the other hand, is leaving his home. He has never lived anywhere but the Bay Area, and has never before had aspirations to live anywhere else. I thank him for his bravery and support.
In economics, one learns of opportunity costs. These are the "things" we give up when making a decision. For example, the opportunity cost for buying a house (in California - for most of us) is the fact that we cannot buy a new car. The opportunity cost of moving is missing my friends. I love you all and you know, if this opportunity (or a different one works out), I will be back each year for visits! John and I will work out a "visit" schedule and you'll be able to read about our plans right here!
2 comments:
what a journey and so awesome that you and John will be starting this next chapter together. keep me posted :)
wow sounds like u have alot going on in your life at the moment ur a busy,busy bee on the run and having some fun all at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment