Before all that stuff happened to my mom (found in the last Blog Posting), John and I enjoyed our time at Ted's 50th Birthday Party in Berkeley, CA.
When we arrived, we feasted on a whole array of nice hor o'douvres and wines and socialized. Dana introduced us to Rita Moreno (the other guest of honor) who played Anita in the movie West Side Story. She told the group stories of how she got the role of Anita. She was actually asked to play Maria, the leading female role, in the stage production, but she chickened out and never attended the audition. She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her work in West Side Story.
After hearing Rita's stories, we all sang Happy Birthday to Ted. Rita sang to him all by herself - in a Marilyn Manroe fashion. It was sweet! Dana provided two really yummy cakes!
We ended the evening with a private viewing of West Side Story! Rita's grandchildren were there and that was the first time they had ever seen one of her productions. I had never seen the film before, so it was a treat. A lot of people left the room with tears in their eyes. John was trying, really hard, to stay awake. Musicals are not his thing ... and especially not those that are 47 years old! It was a memorable evening!
2 comments:
FUN FUN FUN!!
Haha - I am surprised you never had seen it. I saw it twice in college for two different classes, once in High School during our Shakespeare kick in English, and once after I saw Anger Management. Couldn't help it after watching Jack Nicholson sing "I Feel Pretty." It can be pretty funny, although it pissed me off to watch assholes snap and spin when they fight (while I was in high school.) Sounds like a good night though.
Post a Comment