Monday, November 17, 2008

Shopping with my Future Mother-in-law

DeeLynn and I went shopping for a "Mother of the Groom" dress yesterday! It was a lot of fun! We stopped at David's Bridal first, but it wasn't open yet, so we went over to the mall. We started at Macys. She tried on about five or six dresses there. We both really liked a grey/silver dress. It was unique and looked fabulous on her! That particular dress was not on sale, so we decided we would keep shopping. We left Macys and decided we would look at one of her favorite stores: Ann Taylor's Loft. It was on the opposite end of the mall, so we stopped in at Nordstroms along the way. There were some nice stuff in there, but not within budget. Not a surprise, but we thought we would look anyway.

In Ann Taylor's Loft, DeeLynn found some really cute "work" blouses. We also found a nice cocktail style dress that she could wear to dance in at her many studio functions. She tried on a few blouses and that dress. She actually purchased only one item, and it was on sale. It was a really nice, blue, silky, dress-top.

Before leaving the mall, we stopped at Things Remembered. I love that store. DeeLynn said she remembered stopping by it one time on a previous mall trip and wanted to see what they had for gifts and such. There were some really awesome Christmas Gift ideas in there! I need to take a look at what they have online and see if I can work some gift items into my budget!

Our last stop was David's Bridal. We sifted through the "traditional" mother of the bride/groom dresses, but they were too "grandmother" like for DeeLynn's (and my) taste. We looked through the Bridesmaid dresses and found some really nice options. She tried on four or so dresses. We really liked one style in particular. On the rack, it was a beautiful Lilac color (very pale purple). We also looked at the chart to see what other colors she could order it in. DeeLynn wrote down the colors we both really liked (and that would go with the "wine" color we picked for the wedding). The dress style can be seen by going to the following website:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_bycolor_detail.jsp?stid=2795&sid=19234&cfid=27

The colors we liked were: Lilac, Lapis, and Regency. They are all in the "purple" family.

DeeLynn asked that when we found a Mother of the Bride dress, to please let her know the style and color. This way, we can have the "moms" compliment one another. I think that is a fantastic idea! I had planned to shop with Moma the week after Christmas, while I was out there for my Christmas visit. However, we still don't know if we're going to be moving during that time.

After David's Bridal, DeeLynn asked if I'd like lunch. We decided we would eat at her home, where we had grilled cheese sandwiches, vegetable and turkey potstickers, and fruit cheesecake. She shared her Wedding Album and her Wedding Invitation. She and Wayne had their invitation framed.

DeeLynn revealed she was very concerned about finding a dress before our little outing and is very pleased that we have two very solid choices for her. I was very pleased with the trip because it was a lot of fun and we did some bonding over shopping. DeeLynn had six boys, so she doesn't have a daughter. I think it was refreshing for her to have another woman to shop with. I also enjoyed the "mother" time. It was a very nice way to spend just about 3.5 hours on a Sunday.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Okay, I have never heard of veg. and turkey potstickers. You'll have to give me more details about those.